Visiting Côte d'Azur
Culture and heritage
The côte d’azur discovery tours
The Côte d’Azur is famous for its beaches, its mountains, its natural sites, its historical monuments, its traditional villages, etc. Hiking, photographic or cycling tour… Many discovery tours of the region are available for everyone and every taste. Whether you prefer the countryside rather than the city, whether you are looking for tranquility or thrills, you will be delighted.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau:https://en.nicetourisme.com/discovery-tours-of-nicehttps://en.nicetourisme.com/discover-nice-with-one-of-the-locals
- French Riviera Tourism:http://www.cotedazur-stays.com/https://en.cotedazur-card.com/
Museums and cultural activities
Picasso Museum, Fondation Maeght, Asian Arts Musem (« Musée Départemental des Arts Asiatiques »), Matisse Museum, Modern and Contemporary Art Museum (« Musée d’Art Moderne et d’Art Contemporain »), National Sports Museum (« Musée National du Sport »)… There are 34 museums in the Alpes-Maritimes, including 13 in Nice.
The region represents the largest museum collection after the Paris area, and doesn’t cease to inspire artists staying there, including the most renowned ones from the 19th and 20th centuries such as Picasso, Bonnard, Matisse, Chagall and Fernand Léger.
A lot of permanent and temporary exhibitions are available for visitors who can also enjoy advantageous pricing formulas during their stay :
- The CÔTE D’AZUR CARD : free access to more than thirty museums during the validity period
- The French Riviera Pass : 24h, 48h ou 72h ; free access to the Chagall Museum, to the National Sports Museum (“Musée National du Sport”) and to all of the Municipal Museums of Nice during the validity period
Discover the full list of Museums and the available Culture Passes below.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/Museums https://en.nicetourisme.com/museums-around-nice https://en.nicetourisme.com/galleries-and-cultural-activities
- French Riviera Tourism :https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/art-and-culture/ https://en.cotedazur-card.com/
The Côte d’Azur is home to many cultural treasures. Some of the most famous monuments to visit include the Basilique Notre-Dame in Nice, the Opera of Nice, the Villa Kérylos in Beaulieu sur Mer, as well as the Villa and the Gardens Ephrussi de Rothschild, the Property of the Fines Arts of France Academy in Saint Jean Cap Ferrat.
Find out more about the most beautiful monuments and historical sites, as well as the relevant Tourist Offices for guided tours or other activities.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/monuments-and-churches
- French Riviera Tourism :https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/art-and-culture/
- List of Tourist Offices in the region :https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/stays/practical-information/
Parks and gardens
Thanks to its mild weather and the diversity of its landscapes, the Côte d’Azur has a lot of gardens with multiple and colorful origins. In particular, Nice has been designated “the Green City of the Mediterranean”. More than a hundred hectares of new green areas will be added to the existing 300 hectares of parks and gardens. Each area has its own identity and particular charm.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/parks-and-gardens
- French Riviera Tourism :https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/parks-and-gardens/
Towns and villages
Nice, Cannes, Grasse, Saint-Paul de Vence, Valbonne, Antibes, the Mercantour… Hilltop villages, natural parks, ports, ski resorts… The French Riviera provides a great number of renowned sites, from large cities to small hilltop historical villages, from sea ports to ski resorts.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/towns-and-villages
Surrounded by the sea, the French Riviera offers unique cruise tours of the region. The tours of Nice-Villefranche sur Mer, Lérins or Sainte-Margueritte Islands, and Cannes are very popular.
Discover all useful information to plan your cruise and enjoy a unique experience.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/by-boathttps://en.nicetourisme.com/boat-rental2
- French Riviera Tourism :https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/water-sports/
- Riviera Ports :http://www.riviera-ports.com/en
The traditional cuisine of Nice, also known as “cuisine nissarde”, is Mediterranean inspired. This type of cooking is a transition from Provence to Italy. There are more than 200 original dishes. A lot of them are made with local products such as Mesclun. Nice’s cuisine is rich and varied, and largely uses vegetables, olive oil and fish (anchovies, sardines and sea bream mainly).
The most famous local specialties include :
- The niçoise salad : made with mesclun, tomatoes, olives and anchovies.
- The « socca » : pancake made with chickpea flour served hot.
- The « pissaladière » : bread dough topped with caramelized onions, anchovies and black olives
- The « pan bagnat » : sandwich with tuna, olives and raw vegetables, drizzled with olive oil.
- The « tourte de blette » : made with chard leaves. Can be served as a salted dish or as a sweet dessert
- The « farcis niçois » : made with vegetables (zucchinis, tomatoes, onions, peppers) and filled with stuffing. Can be served hot or cold.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/nice-s-cuisine
Restaurants and gourmet restaurants
The cuisine offer in the Côte d’Azur is very rich and varied, ranging from traditional cooking to gourmet restaurants, from exotic meals to local specialties.
Find out the full list of restaurants in the region below.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :
Cookery classes and workshops
To learn cooking local specialties, dedicated cookery classes and workshops sharing their know-how are available. Depending on the difficulty and length of the workshop, rates can vary from some forty euros to a hundred or more. Most famous workshops include « Notes de Cuisine » in la Colle-sur-Loup, « Cuisine sur Cours » and « Les Petits Farcis » in Nice.
Participating to a cookery class or workshop is also a great occasion to learn more about the local culture and share an entertaining moment.
Find out more about available classes and rates below.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/cookery-classes-and-workshops
- French Riviera Tourism :https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/gastronomy-and-wines/
The Côte d’Azur hosts more than 6000 cultural and sporting events all year long. Nice-Cannes Marathon, Nice Jazz Festival, Nice Carnival, exhibitions celebrating great artists such as Dali, Picasso and Yves Saint-Laurent… Whether you are in the mood for a concert, an exhibition or thrills, the Côte d’Azur will meet your needs with its prestigious and vibrant events calendar all year round.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/events-calendar
- French Riviera Tourism :Destination Côte d’Azur France – official website (cotedazurfrance.fr)
Pubs and bars
The nightlife on the Côte d’Azur is always brightened with a lot of pubs and bars. In particular, the Old Nice, the Old Antibes, Juan-les-Pins and Cannes are renowned places for going out in the evening and full of nice pubs and bars. Depending on your preferences and whether you are looking for an intimate or a festive setting, the region will meet your needs.
Discover the full list of pubs and bars available in the region below.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/pubs-and-bars
- Trip Advisor (in French only) :https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attractions-g187216-Activities-c20-t99-French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence_Alpes_Cote_d_Azur.html
Casinos and clubs
The French Riviera is also known for its casinos, such as the « Casino du Palais de la Méditerranée » in Nice, an iconic luxurious place of the 30s and whose facade is classified as a historical monument, the « Casino Barrière Ruhl », center for leisure on the Promenade des Anglais in front of the sea, and the « Casino Barrière Cannes les Princes » in Cannes.
Find out more about the casinos and clubs available in the region below.
- French Riviera Tourism :https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/going-out/
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau :https://en.nicetourisme.com/casinos-and-clubs
Shopping on the côte d’azur
There are many shopping areas in the region of Nice Côte d’Azur. From local handcraft to luxury shops, there is a wide offer to meet any of your needs.
Local products and souvenirs
The old city of Nice is well known for its handcraft and souvenir shops. Some 600 shopkeepers are set up there. The main shopping areas are the Cours Saleya and the Place Garibaldi, which is close to the modern city center and to “l’Avenue de la République”, one of the largest shopping streets.
Typical local products include :
- Typical local products include :
- Lavender bags,
- Artisanal products such as olive oil, Marseille soap, tapenade, anchoïade, Provencal herbs…
- The Fragonard fragrances in Grasse
- Chocolates and sweets from the Confiserie Florian in Grasse
- Blown glass and ceramics from Biot and Vallauris
Discover all shops from the region to bring back souvenirs of the Côte d’Azur with you.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau:https://en.nicetourisme.com/shopping
Shopping centers – malls
The main commercial centers of the Côte d’Azur are :
- Polygone Riviera in Cagnes-sur-Mer, which offers a wide range of shops and restaurants. A cinema, a sports center and a casino are also available there. Inspired by the universe of Sunset Boulevard and typical Mediterranean villages, Polygone Riviera is a unique concept which mixes fashion and premium shopping, contemporary art and entertainment.
- Cap 3000 in Saint Laurent du Var, the largest commercial center with a sea view. With its unique architecture, Cap 3000 is a convivial shopping place and a true living place. https://www.cap3000.com/en
- The Galeries Lafayette in Nice Massena, a multibrand chain (for adults and children) specializing in Fashion, Beauty, Luxury, and Home Decoration. http://www.galerieslafayette.com/magasin-nice/
- Nice Etoile, located on the “Avenue Jean-Médecin”, one of the largest shopping streets of Nice. There, visitors can access to more than a hundred of shops (Fashion, Home Decoration, Health and Beauty, Sports, Culture and Leisure…), and a dozen of restaurants. https://www.nicetoile.com/?lang=English
- Nice Valley, located at the foot of the Allianz Riviera stadium and easy to access by car and public transportation.
Shops and shopping streets
The most famous shopping streets of the Côte d’Azur include :
- The rue d’Antibes in the city center of Cannes, parallel to the Croisette is busy all year long. A lot of shops (Fashion, Home Decoration, Services, Sports, Health, Beauty, cinemas…), cafes, and restaurants are available there. Many luxury boutiques (Chanel, Hermes, Louis Vuitton,…) can also be found on the boulevard de la Croisette.
- L’avenue Jean Médecin in Nice Massena with a lot of luxury boutiques and major brands.
- L’avenue de la République, nearby the place Garibaldi and the Congress Center of Nice
- The Port of Nice and the rue Ségurane, hosting the antique shops district.
- The old city of Antibes and the Pinède area of Juan-les-Pins are also busy areas with many shops and restaurants
- The historical center of Grasse is also well known for its shops. Famous fragrance brands such as Gallimard and Fragonard are located there.
- Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau:https://en.nicetourisme.com/large-stores
- Meet in Nice:https://en.meet-in-nice.com/shopping
- Tourist Office of Cannes :https://www.cannes-destination.com/shopping/shopping-in-cannes?_ga=2.193746157.1370429595.1593786311-38438487.1593786311
- Grasse Shopping :https://www.grasse-shopping.com/fr/
Sports & leisure
Beach & sea
The coastline and beaches of the Côte d’Azur are known as some of the most beautiful landscapes worldwide. Many leisure activities ranging from fishing to water skiing and diving are available in the region. The Azurean coastline is impressive due to the diversity and protection of its landscapes.
Discover the different activities and beaches available on the coastline of the Côte d’Azur.
- The nicest beaches around Nice:https://en.nicetourisme.com/beaches
- The best coastal areas around Nice:https://en.nicetourisme.com/the-coastal-area
Winter sports & mountain activities
The Côte d’Azur is usually symbolized by its beaches and coastline. It is also renowned for its high mountain ranges and numerous winter sports and activities. The territory benefits from a great diversity of landscapes, with more than 700 kms of slopes and summits reaching over 3000 m of altitude.
Discover all mountain activities and winter sports available on the Côte d’Azur, from Ski resorts to hiking and snow parks.
- Winter sports and mountain activities on the Côte d’Azur:
Amusement and theme parks for all ages
A lot of amusement and discovery parks are available on the Côte d’Azur. From animal parks to amusement parks, the offer is rich for all ages.
Find out more about the offers below.
- Family activities on the Côte d’Azur:https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/family-activities/
- Discovery parks around Nice :https://en.nicetourisme.com/discovery-parks
Nature, fresh air & hiking
Between mountains and the sea, the Côte d’Azur benefits from a unique natural heritage in the world. This natural richness offers a lot of remarkable views, hiking paths starting from the coastline and into the mountains, internationally-known islands and bays, and exceptional regional, departmental and national natural parks.
Find out in detail the natural richness of the Côte d’Azur and the different leisure activities available there.
- The most beautiful natural sites of the Côte d’Azur:https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/discover/the-most-beautiful-natural-sites/
- Nature & Sensation activities:https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/nature-and-sensations-activities/
- Hiking in the Alpes-Maritimes:https://randoxygene.departement06.fr/randoxygene-8938.html
- Leisure sports in Nice :https://en.nicetourisme.com/sport-activities
With more than 410,000 licensed golf players and some 800,000 players, golf is an important sport attracting a lot of audience. In 2017, there were more than 730 golf courses in France.
Throughout the years, several golf courses set up on the Côte d’Azur. Today, there are 10 18-hole golf courses and many 9-hole golf courses in the region.
Find out more about the different golf courses on the Côte d’Azur.
- Golf on the Côte d’Azur:https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/to-do/sport-and-performances/cote-dazur-golf-destination/
Thanks to an exceptional environment and climate, and to the Mediterranean water rich in minerals, a lot of well-being activities and resting places developed.
During your stay on the Côte d’Azur, make time for resting in one of the many Azurean spas in a thalassotherapy center, in a Hammam or in Berthemont-les-Bains, a spa resort at the heart of the Vésubie valley.
- Well-being on the Côte d’Azur:https://en.nicetourisme.com/well-being
Pass & tourism packages
Côte d’Azur card : regional culture pass
The Côte d’Azur owns a rich cultural heritage with museums, craftsman workshops, legendary cities and towns. The Culture Pass is a great opportunity to discover all of this cultural richness with more than 60 activities available at discounted rates.
Once purchased, you will need to present your Culture Pass upon arrival at the cultural sites. The period of validity is one month after activation on your first activity.
There are two versions of the Culture Pass :
- 3-Activity Culture Pass : 25€
- 5-Activity Culture Pass : 40€
For further information :
- Regional Culture Pass:https://en.cotedazur-card.com/
- Buy you Culture Pass:https://www.otipass.net/ot/front/cotedazur/en/boutique
- List of activities included in the Culture Pass:https://en.cotedazur-card.com/activities/All-the-culture-pass-activities-06_3897.html
Côte d’azur card : regional leisure pass
The Côte d’Azur is rich in leisure activities, such as nautical activities, leisure parcs, and tasting sessions with local specialties. The Leisure Pass allows you to benefit from and discover a large number of activities available at reduced rates.
Once purchased, you will need to present your Leisure Pass upon arrival at the different sites. The period of validity is one month after activation on your first activity.
There are two versions of the Leisure Pass:
- 3-Activity Leisure Pass : 45€ (35€ for children from 4-12 years old)
- 5-Activity Leisure Pass : 55€ (45€ for children from 4-12 years old )
For further information:
- Regional Leisure Pass
- Buy your Leisure Pass
Côte d’azur card : pure mountain pass
The mountains and summits of the Côte d’Azur offer a lot of activities for the whole family. We invite you to discover those activities at reduced rates by purchasing a Mountain Pass.
The Mountain Pass looks like an individual and personal electronic passport. It is very easy to use. Each partner activity is ranked in one of the four categories: Bronze, Silver, Gold or Privilege.
The Mountain Pass includes access to 3 Bronze activities, 2 silver activities, 1 Gold activity, and 3 Privilege activities on the Côte d’Azur.
There are two versions of the Mountain Pass :
- Adult Mountain Pass : 48€
- Children Moutain Pass (4-12 years old) : 38€
Please note that there are different activities available for each version of the Mountain Pass.
For further information :
- Pass Pure Montagne:http://www.passpuremontagne.fr/index.php?lang=EN
- Buy your Mountain Pass:https://www.otipass.net/ot/front/cotedazur/en/boutique
City pass nice metropole
The French Riviera Pass is a « City Card » which grants you access to the most important sites of the Côte d’Azur.
It is available in three formats (24h, 48h or 72h). The French Riviera Pass includes access to certain museums, activities and visits of the Nice Côte d’Azur Metropole.
You can purchase a French Riviera Pass at one of the Tourist Information Bureau in the towns of the Nice Côte d’Azur Metropole, as well as in some partner hotels (http://www.frenchrivierapass.com) or at the Bus Offices at Terminal 2 of the Nice Côte d’Azur Airport.
- French Riviera Pass 24h : 26€ (30€ with urban transports included)
- French Riviera Pass 48h : 38€ (46€ with urban transports included)
- French Riviera Pass 72h : 56€ (68€ with urban transports included)
For further information :
- French Riviera Pass :https://en.frenchrivierapass.com/
- Buy your French Riviera Pass :https://en.frenchrivierapass.com/buy-my-pass
Book your stay
Book your accomodation
Hotel, camping, holiday resort, guest house… Plan your trip on the Côte d’Azur by booking your accommodation.
To book, you can directly contact the hotels, camping sites and other accommodation places or visit booking websites such as Hotels.com, Booking and Airbnb.
- Book your accommodation – French Riviera Tourism: https://cotedazurfrance.fr/en/stays/accommodation/
- Airbnb : https://www.airbnb.co.uk/
- Booking.com : https://www.booking.com/
- Expedia : https://www.expedia.com/
- Trivago : https://www.trivago.co.uk/
- Couchsurfing : https://www.couchsurfing.com/
- Campings.com : https://www.campings.com/fr/
- Yelloh Village : https://www.yellohvillage.fr/
Book your activities
Events, festivals, leisure sports… Plan your holidays on the Côte d’Azur by booking your activities before getting there.
To book, you can directly contact the activity organizers or visit online activity platforms available in the region.
- Unmissable events on the Côte d’Azur :
- Tripadvisor :https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187234-Activities-Nice_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence_Alpes_Cote_d_Azur.html
- Experience Côte d’Azur :https://www.experiencecotedazur.com/en/
- Get Your Guide :https://www.getyourguide.co.uk/discovery/?utm_force=0